Kolokithokeftedes (Baked Zucchini Patties)
Baked Zucchini Patties — The Secret Hit on Any Appetizer Table
I love throwing dinner parties about as much as I love attending them. There’s nothing better than preparing my favorite dishes for family and friends. But dinner parties also allow for a little bit of R&D, which is the case for my kolokithokeftedes (baked zucchini patties). Ever since I started recipe testing these beauties, they’ve been the first to go on any dinner spread, which is why they’re now one of my favorite recipes in Opa! The Healthy Greek Cookbook.
We all know that when zucchini start growing they grow in abundance. It’s hard to keep up with creative ways to make use of them. This is the perfect recipe for that — you can also easily double it to make more. Normally kolokithokeftedes are fried, but this method is a healthier version of the favorite, calling for baking the patties instead. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and a dollop of tzaziki or, better yet, Navarino Icons Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Dip (pictured below). You can also substitute almond flour for the breadcrumbs to make the recipe gluten-free and lower carb.
- 3 zucchini (about 1 ½ pounds), grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chopped scallion, white and green parts
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup shredded kefalotiri (or any hard, salty cheese like parmesan or romano)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the zucchini in a fine-mesh strainer, sprinkle with the salt, mix thoroughly, and let it drain in the sink for 30 minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, scallion, garlic, bread crumbs, feta and kefalotiri cheeses, eggs, and dill.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 1-inch balls. Lightly smash the balls into patties and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes to cook off before removing them from the baking sheet.